I started out this morning as I often do: being SCINTILLATINGLY WITTY* on Facebook.
[*Translation: trying to hold my own in convo with folks whose humor makes me snort-laugh my coffee on a disturbingly regular basis. It’s a tough job, but someone’s got to do it.]
A friend had posted a picture of herself all suited-up and business-y for a meeting on her campus. The picture was captioned: “Do you think my boss will ask about my feminist agenda?”
Blink, and you would (like I first did!) miss it. The tiny bit of flair she wore on her lapel, just like this:
I loved it so much, I went out and got my own. (From ShellsGlitterButtons on Etsy — be sure to tell Shell I said “hi!” if you stop by.)
Still, though. The unassumingness of a tiny pin might lack a certain je ne sais quoi, given context. I mean, if you’re serious about making the boss stand up and notice your agenda at the workplace, don’t you want something that will announce said-agenda’s presence with authority?
Like, I dunno…thinking maybe go with…something more, say…
For the record — as well as for any of you suddenly feeling highly motivated to ask — my own feminist agenda is fairly modest. It consists mostly of:
- internet cats;
- total banishment of people who say “vagina” when they mean “vulva,” OBVIOUSLY;
- (although — let’s be honest — the couple I really ship is Angel/Spike;
- and now I’m weeping again because Tara, oh sweet gods Tara, HOW COULD YOU TAKE TARA AWAY FROM WILLOW LIKE THAT WHEDON, YOU ARE AN EVEN MORE ANNOYING VILLAIN THAN THIS GUY AND HAVEN’T YOU EVER HEARD OF THE “BURY YOUR GAYS” TROPE?!!;
- those last few were all BtVS references, for those of you not in the fandom, and also how is it possible that you are not in the Buffy fandom?? it’s like you don’t even know me AT ALL);
- and, finally:
- a complete and total dismantling of the neoliberal, capitalist, carceral, white supremacist, cis-heteropatriarchal State.
# # #
What about you, dear Reader? What’s in your feminist agenda?